Here Are the Must-Have Heavy-Duty Baking Mitts for Handling Hot Appliances
Which are the best oven mitts for baking bread? Read on to find out.
Serious bakers know that they are playing with fire literally while seasoned bakers know too well not to get any closer to the oven without appropriate gears. Human skin tends to suffer severe burns in a few minutes, especially if it is 160◦ F or higher. We all know some of the ovens we have in our kitchens can go up to 500◦F. Therefore, a mitt or a proper oven glove is a must-have to ensure your hands are safe and provide comfort when getting your bakeries out of the oven.
Buying a mitt might be as easy as it sounds since people believe there’s nothing to consider. However, when you begin using a glove, you notice that several hidden aspects can motivate you to use the oven often or make your baking experiences sour.
Best Oven Mitts for Bakers
Additionally, there are a variety of oven mitts in the market. Each of the gloves differs in design, size, material, user-friendliness, and other different factors.
See the best oven mitts for bakers in the video below.
We have put together some of the best oven mitts to make it easier for you to choose one that suits your needs.
#1. The Triumphant Chef Silicone Oven Mitts
In the past, most oven mitts were made of cloth, but they are made of silicone nowadays. Compared to cloth fabric, silicone has several primary advantages.
First, silicone typically provides reliable protection against liquids and hot vapor. Silicone tends to repel liquid; hence they neither get wet nor does the steam affect them, thus protecting your hands from any liquid burns and steam scalds.
Second, compared to cloth, silicone is quite easy to clean and also dry quickly after washing. Silicone is also more flexible, so you can comfortably use your hands in any way you want, like holding utensils, trays, and baking pans. With its silicone build and exquisite design, the Triumphant Chef Oven Mitts offers the best compared to the other gloves. The exterior of the mitt is made of silicone FDA approved and is safe even if it comes in contact with food.
You can only use the mitt not only to hold bakeware but food as well—for instance, roasted turkey. Any roasted food item right from the oven has a temperature close to 140◦ F and is quite dangerous to touch it when it’s hot. The heat can cause the glove fabric to leach into the food. However, with this mitt, you can touch, hold, and even cut your food without adverse effects on your health.
Mitts made of cloth easily get stained by juice from the food. However, since the silicone mitts are oil and water-resistant, you can comfortably handle different food types without worrying about permanent stains. The mitt’s interior is padded with an original cotton material that cushions your hands and provides additional protection from heat.
The mitt’s exterior surface has Y and O patterns that hold pots and pans more comfortable and firmly, thus preventing them from slipping. The texture equally prevents any stiffness that results from the fingers being in one compartment of the glove. Plus, it makes it easy to clean the oven mitt.
You wouldn’t need to take the mitt off to clean in the middle of baking. You’ll only need to go to the sink and apply some soap on the mitt’s outer surface then rub the gloves against each other. They will also dry up quite fast since silicone is waterproof. The mitt also comes with a pastry brush with silicone bristles for glazing, adding butter, and oil on the dishes.
- The silicone exterior surface is oil and waterproof
- It’s easy to clean and dry the mitt without taking it off after use
- The silicone is safe even when it comes in contact with food
- The textured surface offers a firm grip
- The mitt’s interior is made of original cotton fabric giving your hands a more comfortable padding
- The mitt protects you from liquid and hot steam
- It comes with a pastry brush
- The gloves lack aeration on the inside
- Silicone mitts might be a bit uncomfortable and bulky to individuals who often use cloth mitts
#2. Homwe Extra Long Professional Silicone Oven Mitt
If you have been cooking or baking for the longest time, you can attest that the wrist, palm, and fingers need as much protection as the forearms. For instance, you might spill water on your hands while trying to drain pasta, or you might need to reach deeper into the oven to turn pizza or add pastry.
To aid in such circumstances, Homwe did come up with the idea of manufacturing mitts that cover the hands and forearms too. The oven mitt is 14.7 inches long, covering your entire hand, allowing you to bake and cook confidently even at higher temperatures without worrying about burning your hands.
The mitt is made of silicone secure even with different food materials. It is equally resistant to high temperatures up to 400◦F. It additionally offers protection from hot food, metallic parts, gaseous heat, and vapor. The mitt’s outer surface texture does prevent slipping and provides a firmer grip when you hold things.
The mitt has a cotton interior quilted to provide not only a soft touch on the skin but also comfort. The mitt’s open end is not tight to allow smooth airflow into and out of it preventing your hands from being all sweaty. After using the gloves, you can machine wash or put them into the dishwasher.
- The mitt is long enough to offer protection for the forearms as well
- The mitt protects the hand from hot liquid and steam since it’s made of silicone
- It’s resistant to high temperatures
- The glove has a textured surface giving you that anti-slip grip
- It’s super comfortable on the hands since it has a cotton interior
- It’s also adequately aerated to prevent your hands from being sweaty
- You can clean the oven mitt in the dishwasher or using a washing machine
- They can be a bit big for those with smaller hands
#3. Ove Glove, Heat Resistant, Hot Surface Handler Oven Mitt
Mitts are essential when it comes to protecting your hands from high temperatures, but they tend to limit movement of the hand muscles to a certain level. It can be an issue primarily if the baking process does involve small details that can be difficult to take on when wearing the oven mitt. As a result, ove made a heat resistant glove that lets fingers freely move while protecting you.
The mitt’s design resembles that of a gardening glove but works quite well just like the others. It also offers more reliable protection for the hands since it’s resistant to high temperatures and flames. It’s the best bet if your cooking techniques involve putting your hands close to hot flames.
Some of you are wondering how this mitt can resist flames and heat, although it’s made of cloth. The secret in these two materials known as Kevlar and Nomex used on the fabric’s outer layer. The two elements are used in clothes worn by car racers, military personnel, and firefighters since they have superior resistance to heat and flames.
The mitt will, therefore, not catch fire, conduct heat, or even melt for a few minutes making it very reliable. The glove’s out layer has silicone lines offering a non-slip grip while the interior is made of double-knit cotton for durability.
- The mitt’s out surface uses Kevlar and Nomex that is flame and heat resistant
- It has separate compartments for the fingers to allow easy movement without limited dexterity
- It’s resistant to high temperatures
- The mitt has a silicone lining on the outer surface offering an anti-slip grip
- The inner layer is made of double-knit cotton for comfort and durability
- The glove is not waterproof hence not ideal for handling hot liquid
#4. Frux Home and Yard Black Silicone Oven Hot Mitt
Like the Homwe Mitts, this mitt also comes in a lengthy design and covers the forearms and protects your hands when baking and cooking. Although the two gloves are quite similar, they also have a difference. Instead of O and Y on the outer surface, Frux has geometrical patterns making it a more elegant and mature design.
Besides, the fabric part is shorter on the arms while the silicone part is extended, therefore, protecting a large surface area of the forearm from hot liquid and heat. Plus, the mitt can withstand hot temperatures compared to Homwe since it endures up to 485◦ F.
If you want a mitt similar to Homwe, but with a more attractive design, more extended, and higher temperature resistance, this would be your great option.
- The mitt is made of silicone protecting your hands from steam, hot liquids, and higher temperatures
- The interior is made of quilted polyester and cotton for additional comfort
- The mitt offers forearm protection since it’s long enough
- The glove can withstand high temperature up to 485◦ F
- The patterns on the surface provide a non-slip grip
- Compared to its counterparts, it has a more elegant design
- The mitt can be washed both by hand and machine alike
- The glove is a bit bulky for small hands
#5. Red LMLDETA Silicone Oven Mitts
Red LMLDETA does specialize in making kitchenware with silicone, and this mitt is no exception, especially if you want a giant glove. The mitt is 15 inches long and covers the forearm up to the elbows. It is ideal for individuals with larger ovens and wants to move their hands around the oven comfortably.
The mitt’s silicone is safe, and you can use it in high temperatures up to 425◦ F and is equally resistant to odor and stain. The interior is covered with cotton for comfort every time. It is easy to clean off dirt on the mitt’s outer surface due to the silicone’s non-stick property.
- The mitt covers the forearms quite well since it’s long enough
- The silicone on the outer surface is easy to clean and is water, odor, and stain resistant
- The patterned surface does prevent slipping of the hands
- If you have small hands wearing this mitt can result in a lobster claw effect
#6. Evrid Extreme Heat Oven Mitts
The Kitchen Haven Mitts has a beautiful feminine design, comfortable, and functional. It can also a perfect gift idea for the women in your life who love baking.
The mitt has a heat resistant silicone transparent cover that keeps the underlying white and pink polka dots visible. The outer silicone layer is not only transparent but also flexible allowing maximum hands control.
The interior layer is soft, giving you all the comfort, you need while the outer surface has patterns offering a non-slip grip.
Besides, the mitt additionally comes with a spatula for performing different tasks like adding cream layers on the pie or mixing the cake batter.
- It has a feminine design that is very rare when it comes oven mitts
- Your hand can move freely in the glove since the outer silicone layer is flexible enough
- The interior is made with a soft quilted fabric for comfort
- It comes with a spatula
- The mitt has a feminine design hence not ideal for male bakers
#7. OXO Good Grips Silicone Oven Mitt with Magnet
OXO often comes up with innovative and unique kitchenware, and you will notice their determination to stay at the top with their oven mitts. The oven mitt’s outer layer is made of flexible silicone that is resistant to high temperature up to 600◦ F. It’s flame, steam, hot liquid-resistant, and is flexible enough without limiting your hand movement.
The mitt’s interior is made as of unique soft fabric, feels comfortable to touch, does stay cool, and also provides airflow preventing your hands from being sticky and all sweaty. The mitt additionally has raised silicone linings for a firm grip and prevents it from slipping.
What’s more, this mitt features a magnet in the hem that allows it to attach comfortably to a magnetic surface in the kitchen such as steel bar and refrigerator.
- The mitt is super flexible, and this prevents any limitations in hand movement
- The outer layer has a ribbed design offering a firm grip even on slippery surfaces
- It’s heat-resistant and can withstand high temperatures too
- The mitt features a magnet that you can comfortably attach on the refrigerator and steel bar
- You can clean the mitt with a damp cloth or use a washing machine
- Since the mitt parts have been stitched closer together, it will be hard to sue the mitt if the stitches come apart
#8. Mastrad Orka Plus Oven Mitt
Most people use the oven mitt for holding hot baking trays and pans to remove them from the oven, or holding hot handles of cast iron pans. However, the mitt will not be of much use if it doesn’t allow you to move your fingers and hold something comfortably.
Using silicone oven mitts can be quite tricky because they have different fitting than a fabric one. The mitts also have a thumb compartment, which means you need to slightly bend the thumb so that you can get hold of anything.
Mastrad did put some work on the flaw, as mentioned earlier, giving their mitt some new twist in terms of design. In this mitt, the thumb is right below the other fingers so that the hand is ready to hold something naturally. The mitt’s unique design makes it more user-friendly compared to the others. The exquisite shape and silicone on the outer layer are resistant to high temperatures of 480◦ F.
For cleaning purposes, you can remove the cotton lining in the interior, which is also a unique feature that other silicone mitts lack. The cotton mitt does remain attached to the covering by a button providing additional insulation, thus keeping your hands super comfortable. Besides, you can also remove it by merely unbuttoning and take it out of the mitt.
The mitt doesn’t come in pairs but as a single mitt. It’s not only user-friendly but also has a smooth luster that gives an aesthetic look. After using the mitt, wash then hang it anywhere using the loop at the lower end.
- The mitt has a unique design which is very useful
- The silicone on the outer layer is water and heat resistant – you can pick things even from a boiling water
- The cotton lining in the interior is removable
- It comes as a single mitt
- If you don’t attach the cotton lining properly, it may come off when you are working
#9. Homwe Silicone Oven Mitts and Potholders
Many people don’t know what to go for between potholders and oven mitts when shopping for protective gear for cooking and baking. Homwe Silicone Oven Mitts and Potholders will be your best bet if you have gone through this challenge.
The set comes with a pair of silicone potholders and oven mitts. Moreover, you can use the potholders as trivets since they come in a set of 7-inch squares. The oven mitts come in black and have raised anti-slip patterns on the exterior. If you don’t like mitts that are either too long or short, this mitt would be ideal since it has an optimum length. It has the right size to provide your hand and forearms enough protection from heat.
The potholders also have a textured surface, just like the oven mitts. The potholders are versatile and can be used in different ways like coasters or opening tight lids. It’s made of silicone that can resist high temperatures up to 450◦F and ideal for heat protection in and out of the kitchen. Besides, you can hang the potholders at a convenient place since it has a loop at the corner.
- It comes with a pair of oven mitts and potholders that gives you enough coverage for heat protection purposes
- It comes in an optimum length meaning it’s neither too short nor long
- The potholders and mitts both have textured outer surfaces that prevent slipping
- You can use the potholders to open tight lids or as trivets
- The mitts don’t have hanging loops
- You cannot take out the cotton lining for cleaning purposes
#10. San Jamar KT0215
San Jamar Mitt is robust yet straightforward and does employ the latest technology when it comes to heat-protective gears. The upper part of the mitt is maroon and made of Nomex material that makes it flame and heat resistant. The underside of the mitt is yellow and made of Kevlar material, giving it high resistance to any abrasive damages, temperature, and cuts. Besides, both elements are safe even when they come in contact with food.
Additionally, the mitt has been graded Class II by NSF, it’s therefore, useful in terms of flame and heat resistance in any weather condition. Consequently, it can withstand high temperatures up to 535◦ F and doesn’t melt. It equally meets other NSF standard requirements.
The mitt is long enough, providing the forearms a barrier against rising steam and high temperatures without compromising on the hand’s movement. The mitt and cuff have been positioned at an angle. You can machine wash the mitt and hang it to dry or use its magnet.
- It does meet NSF high-standard requirements and Class II
- It comes as a single mitt making it easier to get a replacement for one
- The mitt uses the latest technology when it comes to heat protection
- The mitt is flexible since it’s made of fabric
- Your hands can move freely in the mitt since the cuffs have been shaped properly
- The mitt can withstand high temperatures
- The mitt doesn’t have an anti-slip textured surface
- It doesn’t fit perfectly well on small hands since it has a larger circumference
Factors to Consider When Buying Oven Mitts
You are probably asking yourself a way forward after going through our list of the best oven mitts for bakers. You can’t be an overnight expert when it comes to oven mitts, but you should know a thing or two about them before buying.
a) The Type of Material Used in Making Oven Mitts
Although most people only know of cotton and other fabric mitts, they also come with their won disadvantages, especially in any practical setting. Hence, in recent years, oven mitts are made of silicone on the outer layer and a cotton lining inside.
However, most users complain that silicone oven mitts are quite bulky, thereby restricting hand movement. But when you get used to wearing them, you get accustomed, and they work great. Besides, silicone oven mitts have several advantages compared to fabric mitts. For instance, you can easily wash and the mitts, waterproof, and offer protection against steam and hot liquids, you wouldn’t have to worry about holes and tears, among others.
If you need the latest technology when it comes to heat protection, mitts made of Kevlar and Nomex would be ideal. The two materials belong to a similar chemical family known as aramid polymers. The fabric’s other applications indicate that they are very reliable for heavy-duty purposes and work great in protecting you against heat, steam, and flames.
Additionally, unlike silicone, you can weave Nomex and Kevlar into a fabric. Fabric mitts are usually more flexible, easy to wear, and comfortable.
Size is significant when it comes to oven mitts since you wear it on your hands compared to other tools in the kitchen. You also should know the length of your hands and wrist girth to compare it with that of the mitt. However, you should note that most mitts are not made to perfectly fit the hands, which means that as long as it doesn’t slip off or limit movement, it will work just fine. Also, consider the mitt’s length. For instance, if your oven is large and you need to reach inside with your hand, it would be wise to go for an extra-long oven mitt to offer full protection.
When it comes to design, the major part that helps determine the mitt’s functionality is the texture on the exterior surface. We all know how holding a slippery pot can be difficult; hence, the mitt must have a raised pattern or textured surface.
The design also comes to play as far as comfort is concerned. Most silicone oven mitts usually have a cotton lining as part of the plan. It’s crucial as well since the lining cushions your hands and offers extra insulation while also preventing them from being all sweaty.
In terms of design, appearance also matters. A fully functional oven mitt should look great to entice you into wearing it. Fortunately, they come in a range of colors and patterns you can choose from.
If you’ve made it this far, it means you are more than ready to shop for the best oven mitts in the market. You can now confidently pour out your passion for cooking, grilling, and baking without worrying about burning your fingers.